Painted Lazy Susan

Painted Lazy Susan

Saturday 1 December 2012

Perfume box


Here's an example of found treasure. This box, called a perfume box, was for sale in a home store, very badly painted. I took off the original painting with sandpaper and smoothed it down. Then I painted a couple of coats of background colour with sealer, and then sponged on a contrasting colour. The folksy design came from my now extensive folder of ideas that I have gathered over the years, and doesn't seem to have a designer's name attached to it, sadly. The whole thing has been finished with varnish. Hint: the insides of the lid and the drawer were already lined with fabric, so I used masking tape to protect it while painting around the edges. Also, the paint along the edges made the drawer tend to stick, but rubbing a candle along the edges solves that problem!

No comments: